The COVID-19 pandemic has inundated the world with apprehension. The healthcare system in India is trying hard to stand strong in this uncertain scenario.
Also, The monsoon comes with lots of host of diseases, common cold, cough, and flu amongst others. These conditions can often be misunderstood for coronavirus infection and other respiratory diseases. People are living with the fear of uncertainty; every bout of sneeze, cough, and throat irritation creates panic and raises doubts about being infected with the coronavirus.
Due to the seasonal changes, rains, pollution, and various other reasons, people are more prone to allergies, common cold, and other illnesses during this period. There is a need to understand and recognize these various illnesses to avoid unnecessary panic and seek timely treatment.
Max Healthcare Limited, Dr. Sanjay Sachdeva suggests these five symptoms that differentiate seasonal allergies or viral from COVID -19:
- Respiratory allergies generally have persistent symptoms that include bouts of sneezing, wheezing which tend to last for several days while the main symptoms of the novel Covid-19 are fever, tiredness, cough, and shortness of breath.
- Allergic Rhinitis is a major chronic respiratory disease caused due to irritation of the membranes lining the nose. This is mainly indicated by a blocked nose, red and watery eyes.
- Shortness of breath, cough, and fever characterize the main symptoms of COVID-19, while cough is a symptom of allergy only if it is linked with Asthma.
- Common cold or flu usually lasts for not more than 14 days while allergies last up to months or several weeks.
- Illness, fever, and body aches, are not usually identified in cases of seasonal allergies.
It is always advised to check with your doctor to ensure an accurate diagnosis and treatment.
Getting your allergies treated at an early stage will prevent future complications that will help in the long run.