Prime Minister Narendra Modi made several announcements in his independence day speech, from Make In India & COVID19 vaccines to many other schemes. Here is a list of some major highlights from PM Modi’s 2020 Independence Day speech:
-PM Modi’s speech began with him paying a tribute to freedom fighters, security forces and corona warriors. “This is a day to remember the sacrifices of our freedom fighters. This is also a day to show gratitude to Security personnel including that of Army, paramilitary and police ensuring our safety”, he said.
-He expressed his faith and confidence in all citizens of India, by saying, “ We will win over COVID-19, the resolve of 130 crore Indians will help us win”. “We’re going through distinct times. I can’t see young children in front of me today (at Red Fort). Corona has stopped everyone. In these times of COVID, Corona warriors have lived the mantra of ‘Seva Parmo Dharma’ and served the people of India. I express my gratitude to them,” he added.
-PM Modi encouraged India to be self-reliant, by saying, “I am confident that India will realize the dream of self-reliant India. I am confident of the abilities, confidence and potential of my fellow Indians. Once we decide to do something, we do not rest until we achieve that goal.”
-Modi, an excellent orator, through his speech, raised an eye-opening question, “For how long should our raw material return to India in the form of finished products?”
– Atma Nirbhar Bharat & Make In India were some of the recurring themes in the speech. He emphasised on the latter, saying “Health sector has taught us the biggest lesson in Aatma Nirbhar Bharat. There are 3 vaccines under development in India. India will start mass production of vaccines once we get a green signal from scientists.”
– PM Modi also announced that National Digital Health Mission will begin from today. “This will bring in a new revolution. Every Indian will have a health ID card”, he said.
– He explained how ‘Vocal For Local’ is the need of the hour, adding to his speech he said,” We must encourage vocal for local, make it our Jeevan mantra.”
– As for the farmers & the agriculture sector, he announced the plans of ‘self-sufficient agriculture sector’ and ‘self-reliant farmers.’
-PM Modi claimed that “About ₹90,000 crores directly transferred to bank accounts of poor; over 80 crore people provided free food grains. All villages will have an optical fibre network within 1000 days. “
– He also mentioned his plans for J&K, saying, “India is committed to holding assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir once the delimitation exercise is complete.”
-About 7,000 projects of different sectors have been identified to bring a new revolution in infrastructure, PM Modi revealed through his speech.
-A special campaign with a holistic approach is also being worked out to reduce pollution in 100 selected cities of the country. “Just as Sikkim has made its mark as an organic state, efforts are being made to make Ladakh a carbon-neutral region”, PM Modi announced.
-Speaking about the current state of the Indian economy, Modi stated,” FDI has increased by 18% in India last year. India’s share in the world economy should increase for which we have to be self-reliant.”
“I am confident that measures like opening up the space sector will generate many new employment opportunities for our youth and provide further avenues to hone their skills and potential.”, he added.
– Modi talked about the Indian military with high regard, honouring all the soldiers, he said, “ From LoC to LAC, India’s army has given a befitting reply. What India can do, the world has seen it in Ladakh.”