Mumbai airport switches entirely to green energy, India’s first to launch hybrid tech

According to a CSMIA spokesperson, Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA) has completely transitioned to green sources for all of its energy consumption demands, making it one of India’s few airports that is completely sustainable.

Notably, the CSMIA launched hybrid technology in India for the first time in April 2022 that only uses green energy. The CSMIA’s sustainable project is a component of the airport’s efforts to lessen its carbon footprint and advance toward “Net Zero” emissions.

“The aviation sector globally has a huge role to play in strengthening sustainability pillars like environment, social and economic. The future depends on the sustainable work we do today and staying committed to its sustainable goals,” said a CSMIA spokesperson.

Out of the total 100% needs, the CSMIA obtains approximately 5% of the airport’s electricity needs by onsite solar generating and the remaining 95% from other environmentally friendly sources including hydro and wind energy. The CSMIA saw an increase in the purchase of green energy, going from a paltry 57% in April 2022 to a staggering 98.6% between May and July. And, finally, in August 2022, reached the historic milestone of using only renewable energy, according to the spokesperson.